Covid-19 – a message from the Trustees
The challenges that the Covid-19 pandemic is presenting are hard for all of us. We are fully aware of its effect on our industry, which is acute. Like everyone else, we are following all national guidelines and health advice to ensure the safety of our team, their families and our recipients.
Backup helps industry technical professionals working in live events, theatre, film and TV industries who are seriously ill or suffering from an accident. Sadly, this means our registration purpose with the Charity Commission does not extend to helping those who are affected by the downturn in work and the subsequent loss of income. We can, however, continue to provide support to our existing and new recipients. A big thank you to those of you who are continuing to donate during these difficult times.
Whilst not strictly within our remit, The Trustees will consider brief financial support for applications from those who have contracted the virus and have been hospitalised. Medical evidence would need to be provided as well as other documentation listed on the application form.
There are a number of places you can look for help and advice, a few of which are listed below:
- Health advice for the public – visit NHS website
- World Health Organization Coronavirus information – visit WHO website
- Stay at home guidance for people with confirmed or potential coronavirus – visit gov.uk website (issued 12 March 2020, updated 24 March 2020)
- UK Government response to the outbreak – visit gov.uk website (issued 24 January 2020, updated 3 April 2020)
- UK Government support for freelancers – visit gov.uk website (issued 26 March 2020)
- UK Government Covid-19 guidance for employees – visit gov.uk website (updated 26 March)
- Lay-offs and short-time working – visit gov.uk website
- Tax bills – visit gov.uk website
- UK Government COVID-19: support for businesses – visit gov.uk website
- UK Government support for businesses – visit gov.uk website
You can also visit PLASA, PSA, Film + TV Charity, ASD and ALD for information about how they can help. Our Backup Resources page has a list of recommended charities that may also be able to offer assistance and do look at social media groups such as UK live event freelancers forum and AV Industry Relief Resources on Facebook.
We will share any other helpful information on our social media pages as it becomes available.
We wish every one of you and your family health and resilience. Please stay safe, keep talking to your colleagues and remember to continue wash your hands and keep your distance as recommended by the Chief Medical Officer.
The Backup Trustees