AJ Bursary for Mental Health First Aider Training
Backup’s remit is to support the welfare of our technical community and is here to help if colleagues are in a dark place whether because of mental health issues, hardship, injury or illness.
Backup recognises the need to positively communicate with our colleagues and to be aware of how they might be feeling and to ensure that they are not suffering alone.
We have launched a free Mental Health First Aider course, to ensure that in every crew there is at least one trained Mental Health First Aider crew member for every 20 crew members. We trust that venues, promoters and production companies will engage with this is and it becomes part of crew contracts.
In general, the role of a Mental Health First Aider is to be a point of contact for anyone who is experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress. This interaction can range from having an initial conversation through to supporting the person to get appropriate help.
MHFA Course Provider
Backup is delighted to partner with fellow industry charity, Music Support which, as an MHFA England Instructor Member, will provide the courses.
We feel it is important the course is delivered by an accredited MHFA provider that has a first-hand understanding of our industry and the challenges that our colleagues face.
The training courses are FREE and are offered to FREELANCERS only at this stage, as we feel it is the freelance community that has the most immediate need.
There are 100 course places available and it will be on a first come first served basis. Training will be 4x 4hr (approx.) Online sessions spread over a month, start time 10am. Click ‘Apply Now’ for full details on training and dates.
We encourage our colleagues in the freelance community to sign up!
Upcoming MHFA Course training block dates:
November 3rd – 11th, 2021
- Session 1: Wednesday 3rd November 10am -12:30pm
- Session 2: Thursday 4th November 10am -1:00pm
- Session 3: Wednesday 10th November 10am-1:00pm
- Session 4: Thursday 11th November 10am -1:00pm
December 6th – 15th, 2021
- Session 1: Monday 6th December 10am -12:30pm
- Session 2: Wednesday 8th December 10am -1:00pm
- Session 3: Monday 13th December 10am-1:00pm
- Session 4: Wednesday 15th December 10am -1:00pm
January 19th – 27th, 2022
- Session 1: Wednesday 19th January 10am -12:30pm
- Session 2: Thursday 20th January 10am -1:00pm
- Session 3: Wednesday 26th January 10am-1:00pm
- Session 4: Thursday 27th January 10am -1:00pm
February 3rd-11th, 2022
- Session 1: Thursday 3rd February 10am -12:30pm
- Session 2: Friday 4th February 10am -1:00pm
- Session 3: Thursday 10th February 10am-1:00pm
- Session 4: Friday 11th February 10am -1:00pm
March 10th – 18th, 2022
- Session 1: Thursday 10th March 10am -12:30pm
- Session 2: Friday 11th March 10am -1:00pm
- Session 3: Thursday 17th March 10am-1:00pm
- Session 4: Friday 18th March 10am -1:00pm
AJ Bursary MHFA Training Sponsor
Backup’s AJ Bursary MHFA Training is generously sponsored by Unusual Rigging in memory of Alan ‘AJ’ Jacobi who was a long serving and valued Backup trustee and founder of Unusual Rigging.
“Alan was always concerned about the welfare of his colleagues, and it is wonderful that Unusual Rigging has sponsored this training in his memory,” says Backup Chair, John Simpson. “We are not good at asking for help or asking others if they need help. We want to change that.”